08 September 2012

Making Peace

I used to hate myself. Couldn't stand the way I looked and struggled with how 'sinful' my thoughts were. I used to think I was completely past love and redemption. Which is kind of funny that those thoughts for me went hand in hand.
Very gradually, I've learned to accept who I am politically and as a woman who swears like a sailor and likes to...well fill in the blank. But it wasn't until very recently that I've become okay with the way I look.
I know it's probably entirely trivial to everyone else, but I had an aha moment today. I finally like me.
I no longer hate how large my posterior is...or how my lips take up 90% of my face...or my flat nose...or anything else for that matter (aside from how dry my skin is at times...making it necessary for me to have pedis more than the average person...who wants to curl up near an aligator?).
The way I came to this was entirely illegal - and I'm not ashamed...nor do I feel I have need to be! I have learned so much in this short period of time and have become a little less jaded about life that I feel it's entirely right for me at present.
Smiles

2 comments:

  1. They sell ready-made identities off the peg in Walmart and other bargain-basement outlets these days.

    Be glad you are not amongst those who need to buy one.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to hate the way my lips seem to swell and take over my face at the most inopportune times (when I most want them to look docile and tiny). I've come to learn that in this culture (I came from another) that big lips are beautiful and mine are hardly big enough.

    ReplyDelete