03 January 2011

The Art of Happiness

I was just reading or re-reading parts of the Dali Lama's Live in a Better Way earlier today while on the bus back from work.
And, I really don't know how much I understand or agree with Buddhist philosophy altogether (I find it hard to think that there is no god or creator, that we become creators ourselves through enlightenment, and that souls aren't eternal...I grew up in a very Christian household and was homeschooled and indoctrinated everyday....so even though I don't really agree with or believe all of the dogmas of Christianity, I find it hard to unlearn some of the main principles although I don't really worship any god presently...sorry for the long side-note); but some of what he says about compassion and altruism leading to true happiness, I find myself agreeing with.
After long talks with friends yesterday, and a hateful shift at work with the world's most arrogant and obnoxious shift supervisor (who right out told a customer that their opinion didn't matter because she, the supervisor, is the only individual - other than her daughter and fiance - who matters), I found myself wanting to punch someone in the face or do something calming.
Thank god I hit like a girl and wouldn't really do much ill to a fly...so I just cried and was full of angst until I read about the ill effects of negative thinking - which I'm not so easy to agree with. Although, anger really can be a useless emotion, I find that I enjoy (as much as one can) being pessimistic. I feed into it with so much of my energy....and sometimes it's beneficial because I'm proved wrong - which I'm learning to admit. And I've always thought that the more cynical one is, the more learned they have become through time....it's a sort of Darwinian fact - or so I thought (and am struggling not to).
I wonder though if I've had it wrong, because when I did begin to meditate and try to let all of the ill of the day go - though it wasn't easy and I'm not quite sure how far I got, I didn't feel anxious all of the sudden. I was in some ways allowing myself to be ignorant of all that happened...or maybe I was completely aware. I honestly don't know, but it was easier afterwards that is for certain.
I cannot remember the verse or anything, but I do remember this one Bible verse quite often actually : "A joyful heart is good medicine." Even though the thoughts mayn't be a hundred percent succinct, I feel that the Buddah and Christ may have something they agree on...and they might be right.
I wonder how many ailments may be lessened without stress and with allowing ourselves to experience true happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment