08 January 2011

Earnest Attempts

I was on my way from work to visit my best friend's mom in the hospital and decided to take her a decaf pumpkin spice latte to make her smile (before I realized that she wouldn't be awake or able to drink/eat anything for the next few days - I tried). I made the beverage extra hot because of the fifteen minute bus ride...and forgot a stopper, but didn't have time to rectify the situation and make it there in time for me to spend an hour with her before going to see The Importance of Being Earnest for free at one of the equity theatres in Lincoln Park...It was snowing, so I kept slipping a bit, but the drink was in tact when I entered the bus. I sat in one of the front seats next to a man who is a paralyzed...I proceeded to converse with him about music because when I entered the bus, he said something to me that I couldn't quite understand, but I pretended I did and had to keep up the facade with a complete stranger because I didn't want to look bad. While we're talking, he takes off his headphones with the one arm he seemed to have good control of. They fall to the ground and I retrieve them for him....we've become fast friends. His stop is reached, and he asks me to put his headphones back on for him. Then, he resends the request, remembering that I have coffee in my hand. I, wanting to be this wonder woman figure say that I can do it for him....and while using only one hand to secure the headphones, I lost my balance a bit and spilled a bit of hot coffee on his head (thankfully covered by a new North Face hat) and his new jacket. I felt like such shite. The entire rush hour bus was staring at me in disapproval...Never again will I overestimate my powers of smoothness!

2 comments:

  1. I am loving your story. I am there with you, slightly uncomfortable, polite, eager, trying to help, then embarrassed. You've got talent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey...you were trying to help right....so you don't have to feel so bad...and the others who stared in disapproval...well, why didn't they try to help?

    ReplyDelete